Ready for a quick list of actions you can take starting TODAY that will help you reset your metabolism naturally?
The secret is to upgrade your self-care. (Sorry, I’m not talking about hitting the spa for “you” day, although that's important too! See bottom of the blog :-))
That’s because your healthy metabolism depends on your healthy daily habits.
Here are the 5 pillars to focus on when it comes to naturally rebooting your metabolism:
- Exercising, including using weights & doing higher-intensity workouts at least 2x a week
- Eating a balanced, low-sugar, whole-foods-based diet that includes protein at every meal — and eating at regular times throughout the day
- Sleeping 7-8 hours every night
- Being more active in general — not only does this burn more calories, but it also “primes” your body to release more fat-burning enzymes
- Have an outlet for your stress — whether it’s meditation, exercise, hobbies, or talking it out with a friend
THEN… once you get your habits squared away, you can start adding a few “extras” to give you a little boost:
- Be diligent about drinking at least 8-10 glasses of water a day
- Add spicy foods to your weekly rotation
- Drink a moderate amount (1-2 cups) of unsweetened coffee or green/oolong tea a day
- Get your vitamin D levels checked because low levels are linked to less energy and a slower metabolism.
Naturally resetting your metabolism is like doing a “reset” on your health and fitness, from the inside out!
I hope this info helps you move closer to your goals. 🚀
PS… Are you ready to make a real change in your health? My 28-Day Total Body Transformation can take you from blah and exhausted to empowered and energized with a proven plan. You can learn more by visiting my website: 28 Day Program
PPS....If you are local and want some pampering self-care and fun girl time, I'm hosting my monthly Inspired Self-Care event this Thursday. Click here for more details and to RSVP.
Yours in health,
Colleen Riddle, ACE Certified Personal Trainer
Creator of the Fit Pickleballer's Injury Prevention Program (coming soon)
Join my Facebook Group for more wellness info! Wellness With Colleen
There are probably a few things in your life that you’d like to slow down…
But when it comes to your metabolism? Probably not.
Unfortunately, there are plenty of sneaky ways we slow our metabolism down — here are 7 of the most common metabolism saboteurs:
1, You don’t eat enough
Your body is smart! When you regularly eat less fuel than you burn, your body can make itself even more efficient by lowering how many calories it needs.
This can happen if 1) you exercise a lot and don’t ramp up your food intake to match it; 2) you undereat every day, or 3) go on a lot of diets.
2. You skip meals
Research shows that eating regular meals throughout the day is linked with a greater “thermic effect of food” – i.e., more calories burned after eating.
Plus, eating on a regular schedule helps your body manage its blood sugar levels, which is a biggie when it comes to your health.
3. You don’t lift weights
Strength training helps boost your metabolism in a couple of different ways.
Over the long run, it helps build muscle, and muscle tissue burns more calories at rest than fat tissue.
But it also has an immediate benefit: it raises your metabolism for hours after your workout is finished.
4. You slack on your sleep
Not getting enough sleep is like a triple whammy on your metabolism.
- When you’re tired you’re not as active, which means a lower daily calorie burn
- You tend to eat more when you’re sleep-deprived because it messes up your hunger hormones and makes you crave high-calorie foods
- Your body has a harder time managing blood sugar levels when you’re low on sleep, which can make you store fat
5. You sit all day
Being sedentary – i.e., not getting up to move around every half-hour or so — is linked with a slower metabolism. Time for that standing desk!
6. You don’t eat enough protein
Not only does protein keep you feeling full after you eat it, but it also helps you build metabolism-boosting muscle.
Plus, digesting it burns more calories than digesting carbs or fat.
Some guidelines: aim for between .73 and 1 gram of protein for every pound of your weight (1.6 and 2.2 grams per kilogram of your weight).
7. You get stressed out a lot
It’s true! Stress can LOWER your metabolism.
An Ohio State University study found that women burned fewer calories after they ate a high-fat meal when they were stressed.
Just another reason it’s so important to have a plan to regularly blow off stress, like working out, meditating, or relaxing hobbies!
How many of those rang a bell for you?
If you know you need some support revving up your metabolism and creating healthy habits, my 28-Day Total Body Transformation program can help you go from feeling blah and sluggish to confident and energized in just 28 days!
I'm here to support you in any way, just respond to this email if you want to chat or have any questions! I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July!
"I have lost 15 lbs during the 28-day program. The biggest thing is realizing that I in fact wasn’t eating clean at all & you gotta move daily! I’m now enjoying fresh, organic choices vs anything over sauced or breaded. My fridge is full of beautiful colors, and I have lots of energy. Thanks Colleen, I know you love what you do!" - Tammy M.